Friday, March 27, 2009

From the Archives - UP Road Trip, Part V





























Having told his tale, BHB offered to show me around.

The cabin was quite nice and beautifully located on what looked for all the world like a small lake, but which Woody insisted was actually the Dead River after the Hoist Dam burst in March of 2003. Whichever, it was really nice.

For those of you who know the area, the cabin is just off the 502 in Negaunee Township. The 502 is, in turn, off 510 – not the 510; just 510. Distinctions like that matter in the UP. It’s not as bad as in France, though, where if you called the 502 just 502 they’d pretend to not know what you were talking about. On the UP they will just correct you.

We had a wood fired Sauna by the lake/river front.

The inside of the cabin consisted of a living room, dining area, kitchen sleeping loft and small bedroom on the main floor. One floor below was a master suite with a private deck overlooking the lake/river.

“Having gotten here first, I just threw my stuff in the room downstairs. I thought it would be more comfortable for you near the kitchen.” Said Doctor Bill. It came as no surprise to me that my friend would exhibit that kind of consideration and unselfishness.

Above is a picture of my modest but comfortable room and one of Bill's slightly more opulent suite.

After a couple of Two Hearted Ales, chosen to honor the location, and some conversation liberally laced with numerous poetical quotes and allusions that were absolutely mystifying as to their appositeness or indeed even their meaning, it was finally time to head out to the legendary camp at Frenchman’s pond where we were to meet the only slightly less legendary Amazing Woody for a cookout and some fishing.

1 comment:

  1. For years I had hoped to someday have the opportunity to read the legendary UP Road Trip
    Chronicles. I rejoice in my heart's desire's fulfillment. One question C.I., if I may? The 4th photo above.....Was BHB aware that you had decorated your bedroom window with his bloomers?

    ReplyDelete